Thursday, September 2, 2010

Xyron technique - Card for Sis

I had a question on how to do the Xyron technique with glitter like I did in my last post and the dress in the card below.  So really quick (with pics since I don't have a camera) I'll go through how easy it is.

I own both a 1.5" Xyron as well as a 5" one (they were on sale so I figured why not).  For this one I used my little Xyron.

 You place the item that you would like to glitter into the machine (if it's called that).  Make sure your item is face down.

 After it goes through and you've torn it off I like to press it down with a boning tool or a credit card to make sure none of the sticky comes off of it.  Make sure you go around the edges too! You can see the back side of the sticker below and you might notice the lines where I went over it (I still needed to do a little more).

After you've gone over it you can separate the backing from the front part and you'll have your sticky image.  Oh, a little shiny. :)  Obviously I didn't go over the top of the dress to well, you can see the little bit of bubbling. 

 Once sticky - glitter away!!!!!  I go old school with the paper behind the image.  I don't have money to purchase any fancy gadgets that help reduce the mess.  If anyone knows of any, I'm all ears!!!! :)

One of the best things I've found was Glossy Accents.  I purchased this at Roberts (when I lived in Utah), but I'm sure you can find it at any craft store - and I know you can find it online.  I love this because you put it over the glittered image and it makes it stand out a little, but it dries clear so you can see the glitter without the mess! (YEAH - no glitter in the bottom of an envelope.) Below you'll see it right after I put it on the dress.

 After the Glossy Accents dries you can place the image on your card. TA-DA!!!!!


 This little card was made using the equipment above, but I also used Gypsy Wanderings for the dress and Ashlyn's Alphabet for the frame.  The sentiment was a stamp I got a long time ago (sorry - I didn't keep track of names), and the bling is from Basic Grey.  This card is going to my little sister.  She recently made a decision to go on a mission for my church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints).  She will be leaving in November and I can't even tell you how proud I am to be her older sister!!!!!!!!  I really wanted to make something special for her, so this was perfect.  Love you Stevie!!!

8 Wonderful Comment(s):

*Star said...

Your card came out so beautiful! Congrat to your sister. :) Where did she get called to?

ScrappingStephanie said...

This is so super pretty. Thanks for explaining how to use that machine. I love my xyron and use it all the time for glittering. I saw that you left a comment about my challenge, you left the comment under last weeks post. Are you not able to see the one from this Wed....you can enter that one if you are interested. Let me know if you are able to see it okay.

Stephanie
Stephanie

Coachfans said...

Thanks for sharing all those details. I may need to look into purchasing one now. I was curious to know how the glitter stayed on so well.

I hope your sister enjoys the card and returns safely from her mission trip.

Georgiana : )

Kel said...

Love it.. I am so getting some of that glossy accents stuff... Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

whats up everyone


just registered and put on my todo list


hopefully this is just what im looking for, looks like i have a lot to read Im trying to find a way to build an e-mail list.

Chris Wooten said...

I need some of that clear gloss stuff. Where is your sister going on her mission with the church?

Oh and I forgot to say I love the card and she will too

Best Hobby Eva said...

Awesome, awesome card!!! You did a great job. I love my xyron and use it all the time! Thanks for the steps on how you made the card.

Sharon said...

Love that technique!! So simple, yet such great results! Best part? I already have all the stuff to do it with!!! I bought my Glossy Accents at a scrapbook store and I'm pretty sure most of them that have things like Stickles would also have Glossy Accents. Thanks!! And thanks for becoming a follower of my blog!!