Sunday, July 4, 2010

Trying Something New

This is the thing.  I LOVE decorating cakes.  I'm not very good at it, but they're still edible, so I figure it doesn't really matter.  My cute little nephew's birthday was a few days ago and he and his parents and siblings came to visit for his birthday.  They had already celebrated with a cake at their house, but I don't think you can celebrate at my house without a cake too!!!  I volunteered to make a cake for him.  Right now he is into NASCAR.  Since we live in the middle of nowhere - the chances of finding a NASCAR cake pan was very slim (we even drove 45 minutes to the nearest Wal-Mart)!  After no luck finding a car shaped pan,  I decided I was going to make a car for him out of two loaf pans (one was bigger than the other).  I got a recipe from a neighbor for fondant and thought it was worth a try.  Well, it wasn't my favorite, but it turned out cute.  Next time I think I'll stick with just butter cream frosting - but it was fun to try!!!
 I also made a normal sheet cake with butter cream frosting for the adults.  I thought it was a little better.  Oh, well - at least I tried something new. :)

1 Wonderful Comment(s):

Chris said...

I also tried fondant recently...so much fun! Your cakes turned out great.