Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tunnel Card How To - long and lots of pics!

I'm not sure if that's what they are called; I just had someone call it that - so we'll roll with it. :)  Now I did this using my Gypsy, but I'm sure there's a way to do it without a Gypsy - it may just take some practice.  The square used is from Platin Schoolbook and the phrase, phrase shadow and tree are all from the Gypsy download, Christmas.  I will apologize to all of you - I tried to take pics of each step, but I have a bad habit of never planning and just rolling with it so you'll see I added a ribbon and one more cut after everything.

**You can click on the pictures to see them close up**

First figure out how big you want your card.  I make all of mine so they fit into an A2 envelope (4 1/4 x 5 1/2).  So all you do is grab a rectangle to fit on the inside of the card, mine is 5 x 8 1/2.  In order for me to make things a little easier I centered it over the 6 inch line. 

You can use any image in the middle as long as the width is less than the width of the final card (does that make sense?)  Simple terms - for my card the image couldnt' be wider than 4 1/4.  To be on the safe side I keep it even smaller than that. :)

I also cut a smaller tree (to hang in the middle) as well as a phrase and phrase shadow. 








Cut the images out (don't throw away the middle of the image - we'll use it for the front of the card) :)

Next step is to take whatever background paper you want for the base of your card.  Cut it to the size of the card.  Double sided cardstock would work really well, but if you don't have any (like me) you can cover the front and it will look just fine. :)  Fold the card so that the background paper is inside, not out like it normally is.








 Now you will take the paper that has the image cut out and fold it into quarters.  The easiest way to do this is to fold the cardstock/paper in half so that the pattern to it is up, then fold the outside edges in.








Next, glue down the outer rectangle parts only.  It's easiest to put the glue on one side, place it, and then put down the opposite side.  Just make sure your card will lay flat (I've messed up on this part before). :)


 Next (tired yet?) - take the smaller cut (mine was a smaller tree) and tape or glue a ribbon to the back of it.  Attach the other part of the ribbon to the top of the fold. (super simple) :)








I just made a matching rectangle for the front of the card and sides to the inside (sorry, I forgot to take pics of the inside rectangles and decided to add a ribbon).

 I placed extra paper on the outside of the card along with the above rectangle, a ribbon, the phrase and the leftover Christmas tree part (the shadow that was cut out for the inside).  I ended up using an extra cut I had lying around of this same tree in green (since I didn't like just the red) - I hope it doesn't confuse anyone!!!

PS - don't look at the edges of my white cloth in the picture - I didn't notice it until now.



It's not the exact same as the leaf card, but the same concept.  I hope this helped!!!  Let me know if you have any questions about it!  Thanks so much for stopping by!!!  I'm so glad you did! :)

16 Wonderful Comment(s):

ownhomedog said...

wow ~ love this card! it came out so great - i may have to try one!

Court said...

Fabulous! I love the tutorial! great job!!!

Thanks so much for the nice words! Have a great night!

Lisa J said...

This is so awesome! I love it! Gonna have to try this out now ya know lol

Celeste said...

Great tutorial.... Hey go to my blog a special award there for you.

The Purple Scrapbooker said...

This is awesome!! I can't wait to try it!

Besthobbyeva said...

Wow wee, thanks for the instructions!! I am definatley a visual person, this really helps. I don't have a Gypsy, but I have design studio, I am going to give a go! Thanks so much. Such a cute card!!!

Julia Moss said...

Wow wow wow wow wow...this is truly awesome...LOVE IT!

Raven B said...

This totally and completly took my breath away! SOOOO AWESOME.
Hugs,
Raven

Jen said...

Awesome tutorial!! Love your card and thanks for sharing!!
hugs,jen

Cheryl Gaffney said...

You are right, it is a tunnel card. I love your tutorial. I made one for a tunnel card a few months ago and mine was VERY picture heavy too! :)

Wonderful job, TFS,
Cheryl @ CardsbyCG.blogspot.com

girlia said...

Great card idea Celeste

teachU14 said...

Awesome project and tutorial! I'll have to give one of these a try :)

joeygirl86 said...

This is an aweosme idea! I love it!

PinkBlingCrafter said...

Wow This is such a good tutorial. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing:)

janet dycus said...

i love your tree i just spend a day learning to make this pop out card and i just love now seeing your card i want to try it thank you for posting this

Raquel said...

I LOVE this project... thank you so much for sharing! Also, thank you for visiting my blog